Google
 
Web luanne.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Hurricane Katrina relief efforts

I would like to donate money, but I have no extra cash to spare. How can I help with the relief effort?

While watching the weather channel this morning, about the place I've been to many times, New Orleans and knowing what a fun, fun city it is and how many times, I've been there to enjoy the ambience of the French Quarter. It's just hard to imagine the pain and suffering these people are going through. As I was headed to work in my home office, I just wished that there was something that I could do, but knowing my own personal current financial situation, I knew there was no way I could afford to send money, but I thought to myself, I could send clothing, some canned goods which I'll probably never use (carbs), cosmetics & or shampoo, soaps, etc.

Then I no sooner set down at my office desk, my cell phone rings and a friend of mine is sounding panicky. So I listen and she says, "Luanne, we (Becky and I) want to do something to help out the victims of Katrina and will you help.". I said, I was just thinking about that and I mentioned that I didn't have any spare money and she said, No, I don't mean that, but we want to get our community together to raise money by holding a spaghetti dinner in our town (we do that ALOT when folks need assistance for cancer or accidental injuries) to help them out monetarily. So, I said sure (I'm not a cook lolol) but I said I'd gladly help. Then I mentioned to her about donations of other items, the things I mentioned above and she has been in touch with the Red Cross and they claim that they will not take donations of clothing etc. So she is checking with the Salvation Army to see if they are willing to do this.

You know, sometimes you feel so helpless, but if any of you can help to organize something in your community as a fundraiser, every little bit will help these people and remind them that we as Americans stick together and help each other out.


2 Comments:

Blogger Eliza.Ro said...

Luanne,

I think this is a great idea. Initially I heard that they didn't want 'object' donations like packages and such mainly bc it would clog up the mail system and possibly prevent the most vital and important items from arriving (medical help -what have you).

But since it's been nearly a week, and they are making headway.. the idea of beginning a collection is probably a great idea. Once people are in safety that would probably be the best time to begin sending support other than monetary funds.

I would like to do that as well, as I have some things that I don't need... but definitely don't have the money to help.

You're such a sweetie!!!

Fri Sep 02, 09:03:00 AM  
Blogger Luanne said...

Peggy, you're absolutely right. I hadn't even thought about that and I'm sure others might not either. Practical is what they might be needing now. Thank you.

And Sarah......I think you're a sweetie too. You have a heart of gold girl.

Sun Sep 04, 12:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web luanne.blogspot.com